There are a lot of questions and mystery around what coaching is if you’ve never experienced it. People often wonder, is it advice-giving? Does it mean there’s something I need to fix? Is the coach an expert on the (and every) topic?
The simple answer to all of these questions is ‘no’ because you are powerful and resourceful beyond your wildest imagination. Sometimes all you need is someone to help you remove the sediment that is covering the gems.
The best way I describe my view of coaching is helping you focus you on an important goal or vision, guiding you towards it and then grabbing a hold of it. It’s like going into the attic to rediscover a dusty favorite piece of art. When you’re feeling stuck, it’s about being aware of how you see the world (or your job, relationship, you-name-it) and changing your perspective. While all of these transformational shifts that occur during coaching take time, I’m going to give you a little taste by coaching you right here.
Are you ready? OK. Get into a comfortable spot if you can. Forget what happened at work last week...or the phone call you just made...or what you need to do in 10 minutes.
Think of something in your life that you want to work towards changing or improving. Make it something truly meaningful to you. It may be the first thing you think of, or you may need a minute to get there.
- What is so important about this change, vision or goal? Think of why you chose it as your topic.
- What would it look like to make this happen? See yourself already there.
- What personal value would you be honoring in doing so? Consider what value you aren’t currently honoring.
- What would it feel like if you were to achieve this? Get in touch with your heart and notice what’s different.
- What’s one thing you could do to move yourself towards this vision? Think of the small step you’re ready to take.
- Are you committed to this first step? How will you remain accountable? How will I know?
What we just did was unlock your power and potential using one of many coaching skills and tools.
You may be feeling the weight of responsibility all of a sudden. You may be feeling a resurgence of energy or motivation. You may be questioning why you haven’t been able to do “it” yet. Congrats on all of that! Those are all perfectly reasonable and natural responses when you’re taking on the noble cause of designing your best life. It is hard but worthwhile work.
Are you ready to put some focus on that goal, vision, dream or "to-do"? Contact me to find out how coaching can help you get there.